How To Practice Scales
Tips for practicing scales:
- Don’t play faster than you can play with zero mistakes. Play the scale in whole notes if needed.
- Say the name of each sharp or flat and finger those notes. Look up any unfamiliar fingerings in your fingering chart.
- Say each note name up and down the scale.
- Sing and finger the scale.
- Play the scale three times in a row perfectly, then speed up the tempo.
- Be sure you know how the scale is supposed to sound so that you can tell if you are making a mistake. You don’t want to learn the scale with mistakes!